On the first day of the holiday, I tested 3 shapes of pineapple cookies (aka nastar).
Nastar Gulung/Pineapple Rolls
- so far the easiest to make
- need to purchase the special rolling pin so that the lines on the rolls are even and neat
- does not keep for more than a week since it is open faced rolls
- the usual egg wash recipe I used did not look good on these rolls. Must try other egg wash recipe.
Nastar Daun/Leaf shaped Pineapple Rolls
- more time consuming than the above
- the pinch I was using was not of good quality –> must find better tools
- even with the same weight of dough, the end result varies in sizes.
- better looking rolls with egg wash
Nastar Keranjang/Pineapple cookies in basket shape
- OMG this is the most time consuming to make
- inconsistent amount of jam –> some look full, some look half full
- the usual egg wash recipe I used did not look good on these baskets. Must try other egg wash recipe.
Overall, I like the ball shaped better, maybe because I am so used to making them that way. Anyways, a good variation is always good.